For a more recent update read Wimba Create (formerly Course Genie) License Expires 11/30/2010.
We are sorry to announce that Wimba Create (formerly Course Genie) will no longer be licensed for use at NC State. Wimba has moved to a site license only charging model and unfortunately, there is not enough use of the product on campus to justify the expense of maintaining a site license.
The Wimba Create license expires today, November 30. Any files you have created with Wimba Create will still work on your website or course page. If you need to edit them in future, you can modify the HTML files using web editing software such as Adobe Dreamweaver. If you are currently working on a Wimba Create project, you can install a 14-day trial version of the software (instructions below).
To uninstall Wimba Create:
- Close any Microsoft Office programs you have open.
- On your computer, open your Control Panel.
- Double-click to open “Add or Remove Programs.”
- Find Wimba Create (or Course Genie) in the list of programs.
- Click “Remove.”
- Follow the uninstall instructions.
(Due to Wimba’s uninstall process, you may find that the Course Genie or Wimba Create menu still appears within Microsoft Word as an add-in, although the software is uninstalled.)
To install a trial version of Wimba Create:
- Uninstall Wimba Create following the steps above.
- Go to [No Longer Available]
- Click on the link to download the installer for “Wimba 2.5 installer.”
- Follow the directions to install.
- When it gets to the screen that asks for a license number, check the box for “Install as Trial Version.”
DELTA and OIT staff are investigating lower cost alternatives to produce accessible course content and will let you know when such software becomes available at NC State.
Looking for other ways to create course content? Possible options include:
- Adobe Dreamweaver – available in all Unity labs, VCL, or for purchase
You can find recorded training for most of these tools at the DELTA Workshops Materials page.
If you need assistance choosing a replacement for Wimba Create or Course Genie, please contact LearnTech at email@example.com or 513-7094.