Mediasite Server, Recorder Software and Recorder Disc Image Versions
- Test server: 7.0.30, Build 3748.
- Production server: 7.0.30, Build 3737.
- Recorder software version: 7.1.13 Build 4571
- Recorder disc image 7.1.13.
NC State Mediasite help requests Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
September Server Maintenance
- Mediasite server maintenance is scheduled for Saturday September 23, 5:00 – 6:00 AM.
- OIT extended maintenance starts on Saturday September 30.
- Early heads-up, Fall break is the following week, Thursday October 5 & Friday October 6. Fall systems maintenance is tentatively scheduled to coincide with the break.
- As always, check Sysnews for system information of all kinds: https://sysnews.ncsu.edu/
We’ve had a successful semester start with Mediasite operating at record high levels in classroom recording and My Mediasite user accounts.
Mediasite servers were upgraded in August, prior to the start of the semester. It was a successful upgrade and we haven’t had any enterprise-level problems.
A number of Mediasite recorders were also upgraded shortly before the start of the semester, to disc image 7.1.13 and recorder version 7.1.13, Build 4571. It’s not possible to fully replicate our production workload and network bandwidth usage in our testing environment, so we’re happy to report that upgraded recorders have performed well.
Mediasite help calls have been fairly standard for the start of a semester. There are always a number of students who add a course but don’t have immediate access because the system hasn’t updated.
Some students reported “laggy” playback, but these were “last mile” bandwidth limitations, not enterprise-wide issues. In some cases it’s the network load on a home Wi-Fi router or even on the computer itself. We had several student reports of good playback after students shut down other bandwidth-hogging browsers and programs on their computers.
Recorder Upgrade Process
As noted previously, the 7.1.13 image has Microsoft security updates and the 7.1.13 recorder software version enables the university standard encryption of TLS 1.2.
The upgrade process is listed below, in case there are additional recorders that need to be upgraded.
View complete recorder upgrade instructions. Please note that the instructions cover upgrading from a variety of recorder versions, so locate the instructions for your current version in the document.
The new ISO packages preserve certificates and recorder settings, but again, we always recommend you back both up and save them in a secure place, in case you need to import them.
- Sonic Foundry 7.1.13 Release Notes in this Google Doc.
- Sonic Foundry website link to 7.1.13 Release Notes
- Sonic Foundry KBA’s (regarding USB device connections) related to 7.1.13 in this KBA Google Doc.
- Sonic Foundry note about KBA’s, with links:
“Please see KBA4008, KBA4017, and KBA4018 for important information about changes and new features in Recorder 7.1.13. This installer can only be run on a Recorder that has been restored with the Mediasite Recorder 7.1.10 Restore Image (or later)”
Testing Your Production Workflow
The Mediasite testing environment is available 24/7.
- Every Mediasite Instance is on the test server.
- You have access to your test Instance, 24/7, which is identical to your production instance URL with the addition of “-testing” after the college/department name, such as delta-testing, coe-testing, textiles-testing, etc.
- If you experience any difficulties, email email@example.com.
All Sonic Foundry Release Notes, bug fixes and known issues are available on the Sonic Foundry Support website.
When working with a captioning provider, always reference the NC State Convenience Contract 298479 to ensure you receive the discounted rate. Information about NC State closed captioning is on the OIT Accessibility website: https://accessibility.oit.ncsu.edu/choosing-a-captioning-company/
NC State Mediasite
- For NC State Mediasite information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subscribe to Mediasite updates by sending the message “subscribe mediasite” to email@example.com.
- Unsubscribe to Mediasite updates by sending the message “unsubscribe mediasite” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintenance Schedules and Updates
- DELTA Updates and Maintenance Schedule: https://wolfware.ncsu.edu/updates-maintenance/
- NC State Sysnews: https://sysnews.ncsu.edu/
- Sonic Foundry general information: email@example.com.
- Sonic Foundry Customer Support website: Mediasite Customer Assurance Portal
- Sonic Foundry Customer Support phone: 877.783.7987