As part of an ongoing effort to keep Mediasite administrators on campus informed, we created this DELTAwire article specifically for you! For help with any Mediasite questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article includes information on the following topics:
- More Information
What’s New in Mediasite 7
Our plans for upgrading to Mediasite 7 in August continue as planned. We will discuss more specifics at the NC State Mediasite User Group meeting on June 5, and we will continue to keep everyone informed on the upgrade’s progress.
Important dates for the upgrade include:
- June 23: Begin re-imaging recorders to latest release
- July 7: Test instances ready for testing
- July 24: User Group meeting/Version 7 training
- Aug. 1: All recorders must be re-imaged
- Aug. 6: Servers and management portal down for maintenance
- Aug. 8: Push version 7 upgrade to recorders
The new release offers several features to look forward to, including:
- complete playback control in the new Mediasite MultiView Player, which can stream up to four simultaneous high-definition content sources
- existing RL SD recorders able to take advantage of dual motion for content capture.
- existing RL HD recorders able to capture up to three sources–one SD and two HD–as full motion sources.
- screencast plus video capture with the Mediasite Desktop Recorder
- additional flexibility for My Mediasite users to enable closed captioning and create their own “Publish-to-Go” download files and audio podcasts
- better screen real estate with the new players
- VodCast, a single file download that can be published directly from My Mediasite to a YouTube channel or iTunes U
- new catalog channels
Mediasite 7 Working Sessions
In preparation for establishing new default encoding settings, templates and streaming groups, we will have three working sessions to solicit feedback from our users across campus. To help DELTA better understand your needs in establishing guidelines, please plan to attend one of the following sessions:
- June 13: 2:30 p.m., in Venture II, Conference Room 75
- June 23: 1:00 p.m., in Partners I, Conference Room 2410
- June 26: 1:00 p.m., in Venture II, Conference Room 75
Desktop Recording and Media Management with My Mediasite
Interested in participating in My Mediasite? Sign up now! Also be sure to join the My Mediasite Users Community, a Moodle Project Space that features training resources, guidelines for best practices, discussion forums and step-by-step installation instructions. Visit the DELTA Knowledge Base for further helpful information.
To learn more about desktop recording with My Mediasite, be sure to attend DELTA’s upcoming workshop, “My Mediasite Basics: Desktop Recording and Media Management.” The workshop will cover basic features and tools for recording, uploading and managing presentations, and will offer tips and best practices for using My Mediasite to produce effective instructional content for both blended and online courses.
DELTA is offering the workshop on two separate dates:
- June 26: 1:30 – 3:30 p.m., in D.H. Hill Library, ITTC Lab 1A
- July 15: 9:00 – 11:00 a.m., in D.H. Hill Library, ITTC Lab 1A
Register now to attend one of these workshops!
Mediasite Monthly Server Maintenance
The monthly Windows updates for the Mediasite servers will be installed between 5:00 – 6:00 a.m., on Saturday, June 14, 2014. The servers will be rebooted one at a time; no outage is expected due to the redundant nature of the system.
For all regular scheduled server maintenance windows, please see the Updates & Maintenance schedule.
NC State Mediasite User Group Meeting
Please plan to attend our NC State Mediasite User Group (MUG) meeting from 3:00-4:30 p.m., on June 5, 2014, in 130 Park Shops.
UNLEASH, Sonic Foundry’s Annual User Conference
Many individuals from NC State attended UNLEASH 2014—the Annual Mediasite User Conference. Conference attendees were introduced to many new ideas for deploying Mediasite and My Mediasite, saw Sonic Foundry’s roadmap for Mediasite in the future, and had the opportunity to try out some of the latest developments and experience the new version 7 in action. Attendees also had many opportunities to talk with other Mediasite colleagues from around the world in peer group discussions, and with Sonic Foundry’s gurus, developers, engineers and management staff.
If you were unable to attend the conference, you can watch sessions on-demand by visiting the UNLEASH Showcase.
To learn more about Mediasite at NC State, or to see other topics covered in our next update, please contact Laura Stephenson at email@example.com. Your suggestions are always welcome.
Please send Mediasite help requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to Mediasite updates by sending the message “subscribe mediasite” to email@example.com.