NC State is a member of the New Media Consortium (NMC) (http://www.nmc.org). The NMC is an “internationally focused not-for-profit consortium of learning-focused organizations dedicated to the exploration and use of new media and new technologies.” The organization sponsors programs and activities designed to stimulate innovation, encourage collaboration, and recognize excellence among its member institutions. The NMC encourages active collaboration in the forms of projects and initiatives: Educational Gaming Initiative, New Scholarship Initiative, Emerging Technologies Initiative, 21st Century Literacy Initiative and more. (For a description of NMC initiatives, please see the NMC website (http://www.nmc.org/initiatives).
Our NMC membership includes a number of benefits and a variety of free services, and discounts on fee-based and custom services you may be interested in utilizing:
- Discounted member rate to the annual NMC Summer conference
- Early registration access for free hands-on software training at the NMC Summer conference
- Discounted member rate to the NMC regional conferences
- Ten complimentary registrations for the NMC’s series of Online Conferences
- Access to NMC research reports, newsletters and other publications
- Opportunities to participate in major NMC research and publication processes, i.e., Horizon Report Advisory Board
- Participation in NMC projects and grants
- Ten complimentary Pachyderm accounts on one of the NMC’s Pachyderm services (http://pachyderm.nmc.org/)
- Free grant writing consultation services, as well as assistance identifying partners for funded projects
- Use of NMC’s Campus in Second Life as a virtual location for member events, space for classes and presentations, a Second Life venue to accompany real life events
- The NMC listserv for posting questions and receiving answers about educational technology from its members
- Web discussion boards to share and archive ideas
- And much much more!!!
NC State’s faculty, staff and students can take advantage of the NMC resources available to us. Create an account today! (http://www.nmc.org/user/register)
Questions? Contact Traci Temple, Assistant Director for Instructional Development (DELTA) and the NC State NMC Liaison (firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-513-3193).