DELTA Google SketchUp Initiative - NCSU in Google Earth
submitted by Mike Cuales Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:52:15 EDT
In April 2007, DELTA rallied a group of undergraduates at North Carolina State University to participate in Google’s North American "Build Your Campus in 3D" competition. This competition challenged students to recreate their campus digitally on Google Earth using tools such as Google SketchUp and Adobe Photoshop.
DELTA built its team by assembling a diverse set of talented students from a variety of campus departments, including Communication, Design, Engineering, and Industrial Design who were at various points in their college careers These students worked against a tight deadline with one of the largest campuses in the competition and learned to effectively communicate and provide feedback to one another. By sharing good practices and supporting each other’s efforts, the team was able to virtually build 107 N.C. State buildings in under 50 days, while also managing important responsibilities such as classes and jobs.
After the competition ended, the students’ creation was inducted into Google’s 3D Warehouse under the “Build Your Campus in 3D Competition” collection and is now freely available to download (see link below). In addition to providing a global visual reference for NCSU, this project has opened the door for many other N.C. State endeavors, such as online recruiting, virtual campus tours, pre-visualizing construction projects, and online event planning.
- Alan Youngblood (Communication Media, Senior)
- Dana Hartweg (Art and Design, Senior)
- David Tredwell (Computer Science, Senior)
- Lauren Smith (Industrial Design, Senior)
- Sari Nasir (Art and Design, Sophomore)
- Steve Valenziano (Industrial Design, Senior)
- Ashley Vercoe (Industrial Design, Senior)
- A.J. Klingenmaier (Art and Design, Senior)
- Nik Shah (Environmental Design in Architecture, Junior)